Saturday, February 23, 2008

Language

Language
Due to English colonial rule from, English is spoken in business locations, but locally, Wolof and Mandinka are the languages used. Mandinka is spoken more in the upcountry regions and in Bakau, whilst Wolof is spoken more in the kombos regions. I am having Mandinka lessons now and I’m finding it difficult. There are so many formal greetings to learn, these greetings are essential when talking to a person and are used continually throughout the day in your work and social environment. In the greeting you ask whether the person and their family are in peace, then ask whether they are in no trouble, how and where their family are, etc.. a long process and it is spoken really fast. You would think I would fit in straight away with the speed of my words.. but I am talking mandinka ‘doman doman’ (meaning slowly, slowly).

No comments: