Thursday, September 11, 2008

Naming Ceremony


My colleague, Seedy Jammeh invited me to attend his daughter’s naming ceremony. This celebration is held within a year of a child’s birth. It involves the women preparing Gambian dishes for all of the guests. These are distributed in the huge shared food bowls. Family guests from the wife's side, travel far and wide to attend and money is generally donated to the family.
Traditionally, women and men sit separately and have special duties during the celebration. Women dance and have time to go present baby clothing gifts. Following this, men sit together in a group with a Maribou spiritual leader who enthusiastically leads prayers and encourages further money donations for the family.
Bags of popcorn and little donuts are distributed amongst the guest as little gifts.
I knew quite a few people there including work colleagues, local teachers, Seedy’s family members and ladies I have met during my Mandinka classes I attend in the same village. The people are very friendly and welcoming, even though I stand out and get swarmed by children, I felt very comfortable sitting around and chatting.

No comments: