Thursday, September 11, 2008

Gambia college





I have been teaching at Gambia Teacher’s college for the past 5 weeks. My role there has been Head of English during the summer program. During this time I have worked with fellow tutors in planning English lessons for student teachers, half of which have been teaching for one year. I emphasised the need for students to be actively involved in their learning through thinking activities, group work and literacy games. Trying to encourage teachers to move away from chalk and talk and text book based lessons.
Classes had up to 70 students which was fine but difficult to remember individuals. I’ll be able to visit some of my students who are working in my region and support them where necessary.
During my time at Gambia college, I was only an hour and 20min away from the coast. I commuted most days on a bush taxi to and from work. The time spent on the coast was brilliant, I was able to catch up with friends and play team sport like Frisbee and touch rugby on the beach. Life on the coast to completely different to rural life. Even though The Gambia is so small and there very few things to do, life on the coast allows you to lead an active social life with team sport and house parties, hanging out the beach was a treat (not on the sand, as I get hassled by Gambian men, locally called bumsters) and there are places to go and eat. Soma has no where to go and eat, just ladies selling food on the side of the street. But is saying this, I missed my Gambian friends in Soma and my job of going on Trek to schools and assisting my Regional team.
Whilst teaching at Brikama, I met up with a principal, Mr Fatty, at his compound and met his first wife. I had already met and stayed in his second wife’s compound up country. Once again, I felt welcomed and met the extended family. On one occasion his compound was flooded by the rain, as seen in the photos.

No comments: