Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MY NEW HOME March 11th

Well here is my home for the next 12 months. It is is a rectangular shared compound with another 5 local teachers and 2 vsos. The house has two rooms, the front room is my living room/kitchen. It has a fridge, two burner gas top, table, 2 chairs . i have bought some beautiful material to use for table cloths and curtains. The back room is my bedroom.. double bed and mosquito net and a chest of draws. This leads to my pit latrine ... this is all my personal space and is enclosed by a grey brick wall. Here take be bucket showers and use the glorious pit latrine.. My house walls are a lovely blue wash and the floor is newly painted cement.. a red/maroon colour. It is nice to finally sort out all my things and have a place to call home. The back yard is a basically a large dirt and sand pit.....there is a porch which is essential because it is sooo hot.. and will only get hotter. Most places in the gambia are in compounds.. basically a group of attached flats.. You may be thinking...a fridge?? I have POWER!! Power was only connected i my town 2 months ago... so i am in luck.... the power is switched for a period of time each week..today it was on for about 4 hours.. but that is fine.. it might stay on long enough so i can have ice... cold drinks.. lights on at at night time..the luxury!!
I do not have running water, this is collected from a pump in the compound. water here is ok to drink.. probably better than adelaide water!! I have 3 plastic 20L jerry cans which I keep full of water. So there you have it... hope the photos/or vidoe whatever loaded.. give you some sense of my new house.
I have been busy getting my house looking like a homely by banging in nails all around.. this allows me to put up curtain wire.. i have used this to attach material for curtains.. photos, motorbike gear, towel.. mozzie net.. im very happy with how it is coming togther so far.

No comments: