Thursday, May 29, 2008

Journey back from Dakar to my town, Soma

We did the usual bartering for cabs then another dodgy sep – place. It was hilarious watching my friends in the cab in front being chased in the garage and surrounded by Senegalise vying for our business. I hopped out of the set-place after about 3 hours travelling to go the rest of the journey alone, as i was heading straight to Soma for work the next day. I quickly farewelled my friends as they dropped me off at a dusty, busy garage full of the usual dodgy cars, people walking around selling products on their head ranging from bananas, soap, clothes, torches, underwear, sunglasses etc. I went to search for a geli going to a town in Southern senegal, this geli crosses through Soma on the way. In amongst the mayhem, a Senegalise man befriended me and showed my where to go. He was very helpful and I paid for my fare and hopped onto the geli which was a sauna filled with flies and Senegalese men, teenage boys, 2 women with their young babies. The men on this geli wore long robes, hair in long dreadlocks covered in a long material head wrap and cool sunglasses. They had on thick leather belts around their waist, army boots and necklaces showing photos of their spiritual leader. We all sat and waited for the geli to leave, we sat for 2 ¼ hours, I could feel the sweat dripping down my back and my bottom was already beginning to get sore. Finally we departed and the geli broke down after 15 minutes. After some time we set off again, there was 28 people on board and noone complained as the geli broke down 4 more times. At one point all the men got out in the sweltering heat, around 45 degrees outside and push started it. We arrived at the border, not that I was quite sure of where the border was or what it looked liked. I was asked to get out the geli by the border official and walked to the Customs building and showed my passport, praying that I wouldn't be detained due to being unsure about my visa expiry. All went well and the Senegalise official was very friendly. I filled in my details and noticed the previous entry of a Visa entry at the this small border crossing was last November! The geli waited for me and then we drove to the Gambian customs. I again was asked to get off and I showed my Gambian residence card and id card but that was not enough. My passport came out again and I walked to the Customs area. My friends had some problems at the major Gambian border recently with luggage and body searches so I was a little nervous. The Gambian official turned out to be friendly, in fact I thought he was going to ask for phone number... ahhh back in The Gambia!
Once again the geli waited for me, I was happy to be back on Gambian soil as I have a pretty good idea as to how things operate and can get around The Gambia confidently. Signs were all now in English and money was back to dalasi. We crossed The Gambian river and I finally arrived in Soma. I started walking down the main st to toubab shouts from kids i didnt know and my work colleague rode past, we stopped and had a chat. I then heard "AJA! AJA!" another lady I knew , Isatou, called me over another chat followed. She hailed the Governor of the region driving past who gave me lift to my house. Further shouts of "Aja! Aja!"down my street ensued. 11 hours of travelling came to an end and listening to the shouts of Aja, I was finally home.

No comments: