Saturday, April 26, 2008

Swarmed by children




After one of the training sessions the presenter and my colleague decided to stay at the school to rest (in the end, we didnt leave school until 7pm!) and wait for the principal to arrange our accomodation at his house. I had no choice but to just go with to the flow, all in Gambian time. The school was quiet, so I decided to utilise my time and work on typing up this blog. Children started to appear and gather around me to look at the computer, the first computer they have scene. I had at least 25 children squashed around me, so I decided to show them some photos of Australia I had on my computer. We exchanged local language and English words for items in the pictures. They were also interested in my camera which was also sitting on my lap, so I took a video of them around me and played this back. If you can imaging me sitting on a chair, surrounded by 25 kids packed in tight tryin to spin my camera around as they all wanted to get their head the screen. I played this back many times to the excitement of the children seing their faces on the screen. The video is hilarious, a sea of smiling faces but when the younger children started crying because they were being squashed i thought it was time to put the gadgets away.

1 comment:

David Chad said...

Hi Julie,
Sounds like you are having a ball over there - exciting and a bit dangerous!!
I really admire you for what you are doing.
Things are good here at Largs Bay but we are missing you.
Cheers,
David Chadwick